A late post again. Such is the way of things.
I don’t normally do these blog award posts but this week is extremely busy and rather than think of something interesting to write about, this seemed like a good, pretty much ready-made post to rattle off. I love my readers but there’s a whole wide world outside the internet, and it’s demanding my time.
It was Maya J. T. who tagged me for the award. She sent me a sweet little email that made my day and I really appreciate it.
Here are the rules:
- Acknowledge the blogger who gave it to you and display the award.
- Answer 11 questions that the blogger gave you.
- Give 11 random thoughts about yourself.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and notify them of their nominations.
- Ask your nominees 11 questions.
WHAT DOES YOUR NAME MEAN?
‘Jessie’ apparently means he sees (as in God sees). If you’re asking about the blog name, it was a suggested title for my untitled romance. Sadly it just didn’t fit the story, but it seemed a shame to waste a good title like that so I decided to use it as a site name instead.
WHY DO YOU WRITE?
When I first began this blog, I wrote a whole article with the answer. But to put it succinctly, in case you don’t want to read the original post, I write for two reasons:
- To point you to Christ
- It’s compulsive. I can’t not write.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE KIND OF CHEESE?
I don’t like cheese all that much. Cheese and bacon are overrated and that’s all there is to say.
WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO YOU?
WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE CHARACTER (NOT ONE OF YOURS) OF ALL TIME?
This is an unfair question for those of us who read widely and enjoy movies, because we’ve read so widely that there are too many too choose from. Memorable characters are Liesel Memminger from The Book Thief (we would be friends), Gatty from Gatty’s Tale, Mr and Mrs Twit from The Twits, Danny’s dad in Danny the Champion of the World, Foaly from Artemis Fowl, Prue from Precious Bane, and one of my all-time favourite bad guy is Iago from Othello.
WHICH ILVERMORNY (NORTH AMERICAN WIZARDING SCHOOL) HOUSE ARE YOU?
See the first of the 11 facts about me (I had to google this to work out what it was).
HOW MANY BOOKS DO YOU WANT TO READ IN 2019?
I think I wrote about it back at the beginning of the year. Goodreads has me down for 26 books but the number is arbitrary. My real reading goal this year is to read better rather than to read more. I think I’m doing all right on that front, if only certain book publishers would market their books more honestly. I started reading a book earlier this year with an excellent premise — I was so excited for it! However, it turned into a highly inappropriate ‘romance’ halfway through and made me want to throw up so I didn’t finish it. If I’d known, I wouldn’t even have picked it up.
HOW MANY BOOKS HAVE YOU READ SO FAR IN 2019?
I think Goodreads has me at 15ish. I’m not good at keeping track.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE WORD?
I have a number of them. Ubiquitous. Globular. Puny. Mawkish. Smite. Purloin. Scallywag. Puckish. Impish. Fuliginous (incidentally, my town is fuliginous). Imbroglio. Stramash.
HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO ANOTHER COUNTRY, AND IF SO, WHICH ONE(S)?
I live in the UK, so do other UK countries count? Other than that, I’ve been to Cuba, Malta, Malaysia, Indonesia, and spent a day in Dubai. I’ve never been to the States and I haven’t left the UK in nearly a decade. I wish I was better travelled but eating and having a roof over my head kinda takes priority.
WHAT DO YOU TELL PEOPLE WHEN THEY ASK YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO BE?
I don’t get asked this as much these days because I’m in my twenties. Generally though, I’ll say I want to be a wife, mother, and published author. Just the first two and I’ll count it a life well spent. I’m not an ambitious person, I’m fine where I am, working a day job and writing when I can. If I’m feeling particularly cheeky, I’ll say I want to be a cat (free food and board, lots of naps, and company if you feel like it).
- I don’t like Harry Potter and make no apology for it.
- Hawkeye is one of my favourite Marvel (comic books) characters because we’re deaf in the same ear.
- I love a good ceilidh (I love the dancing) but I didn’t used to get to dance because I ended up playing.
- I left school at sixteen and have never regretted it.
- I spent most of high school reading novels under the table when I should have been paying attention.
- I like dragons.
- Green is my favourite colour (going for an obvious fact there)
- I can weld passably and prefer stick.
- I live in fear of one day turning into my grandmother.
- I particularly like animals (the more unusual the better).
- I’m a little bit of a pyro.
I nominate you, dear reader.
- Do you draft and schedule your blog posts or do you write them on the fly?
- How has your reading taste changed over the years?
- If you could have any job, real or imaginary, what would you be?
- What are you reading at the moment and what’s next?
- What’s your current favourite song or band?
- What’s your favourite mythical animal and why?
- What random, possibly surprising skill do you have (it can be as cool or silly as you like)?
- What’s your signature dish when cooking?
- Which writing rule do you enjoy breaking the most and why?
- Where do you find inspiration for your writing?
- Give us a recent out of context quote.
Thank you for sticking with it to the end. You’re welcome to take up the tag if you fancy it. I look forward to reading your answers and getting to know you a little better!